Banking Tip of the Month - Safety Tips for Your Debit Card
With one of the busiest travel times of the year looming on the horizon, you’re likely looking for ways to keep yourself and your family safe. This endeavor should extend to your finances. As your excursions take you far and wide, we have some tips and tricks to keep your debit card secure.
- Plan your itinerary. If your agenda takes you outside your market area, give your bank a heads up before hitting the road. Doing so has several benefits in the long run. For one thing, your bank won’t put a block on your account simply because you’re spending money outside of your normal geographical range. On top of this, reporting any lost and stolen cards is simpler when your bank already has a general idea of where you are.
- Check for skimmers. Whether you are staying near home or traveling far, be cautious when using ATMs. When possible, use ATMs located in banks and other secure locations. Check the slot where you insert your card for unfamiliar pieces of machinery or metal. This may be evidence of malicious devices, known as skimmers, which steal debit card information.
- Note pre-authorizations. If you have specific stops planned for your journey, keep in mind any locations that may utilize pre-authorization on debit cards. In some situations, businesses will temporarily overcharge a debit card for a designated period, such as a business day, to accommodate any additional expenses that may arise over the course of the business interaction. Keep track of any businesses that utilize this method, so that you don’t accidentally overdraft on your own bank accounts.
- Go mobile. At Dream First Bank, our mobile app is designed to give you the financial information you need with the push of a button. Our card control service allows you to turn your card on and off, set up transaction alerts, and establish spending limits, so you can remain in control of your money, no matter where you are.
- Available 24/7 for Support. If you encounter problems with debit card transactions, or worse yet, your card is lost or stolen, you can contact debit card support anytime, day or night. If it's during business hours, just contact us and we'll be happy to help. Or, if it's after hours or over the weekend, you can call 1-866-960-2261 and someone will be available to help - even when the bank is closed!
Here at Dream First Bank, we’re dedicated to helping you turn your dreams into reality. To explore more expert financial advice, or to find out more about our range of business and personal banking services, contact us today.